Monday, November 13, 2023

Cats Christmas Charm Pack Challenge! ..."Gift Card Santa Bags"

 Hey quilter's...hope y'all had a restful weekend and ready to "kick off" the charm pack challenge. I'm so excited about these fast & easy "Santa Bags" that I'm not going straight to the directions. What! No griping about the weather...or 3 doc appoints and therapy? No... right to these super cute bags :-) Seriously these bags were so much fun to make that I will probably make more from my scraps. I used 2...5" squares per bag with no waste. Yes...I've been sewing for over 50 ish years & can honestly say this is the first project that I used all the squares. But...will admit the other projects coming will state "save your scraps" :-) This adorable "Holly Jolly" charm pack by Urban Chiks for Moda fabrics inspired many fun gifts to come. First let me tell you the story of how these bags came about. Our sweet grandson Davin now 13 and step-grandson Noah now 11 love receiving money to pick out their own gifts. I know...as a "Gege" I was a bit devastated. I always think of everyone's gifts throughout the year.... try to catch things on sale to save money. Well last Christmas Davin asked for a gift certificate from a sports store to get a bat. He knew it was expensive and said he needed all the help he could get. Well then birthdays came and special moments to celebrate so I started sending the "gc's." They both love to receive McDonalds cards. Well like everyone else the adults love a Starbucks...you know every now and then...ha! I could just buy a gift bag or card or all those expensive items that hold a "gc" but that adds up as well. So, I decided to incorporate a cute "Santa bag" into the charm pack challenge.  I will admit it was more of a challenge to use all the squares and to make a bag that was long enough to hold a gift card. Yes, you can use scraps and probably make a bit simpler, but I love how the bags are reversed. Each individual bag uses 2 squares and what you see on the front is reversed on the back. Yes, that did take a bit of "thinking" on my end. When you're on pain meds math is not something I'm fond of :-) But thank God for my EQ8 quilt software. It figures that math for you, No project to small :-) Oh forgot to mention I've only used "16" of the charm squares so far and made "8" gifts. I have more gifts to share so keep following. Remember if you don't have a Christmas Charm pack just rotary cut your Christmas scraps into 5 x 5" squares. I will admit these would make great birthday gifts...just change the fabric per your celebration. I thank y'all for following and hope you enjoy making these super cute & easy Santa bags. Talk soon!

Blessed Quilting from My Home to Yours,

Cat

Follow on Instagram...Facebook & Pinterest (links on upper right of blog)


Note...each bag 3 x 4.5 & I used Aurifil thread 50 weight & Missouri Star Quilt Co. 50#. I "bopped" between 2 sewing machines depending on how my back was doing :-( Every bag was "Chuck" approved! :-) Remember keep doing what you love...just in moderation....thread & fabric therapy!

Here's all you need...

* 2 ..5" Charm Squares

* Coordinating thread...I used white to keep it simple.

* Please rotary cut for this project :-)

Here's all you do...

* Rotary cut 2 coordinating charm squares 3.5 x 5"

* From each scrap strip...rotary cut to 1.5 x 3.5 (this is your band at top)

* Place one 3.5" piece with a coordinating 1.5 x 3.5 strip at top (per pic)


* Sew top band to sack with right sides 2gether using a 1/4" seam allowance. Press

*Rotary cut one inch off bottom of sack.

* Sew to top of band with right sides 2gether...1/8" seam...Press then fold over to the wrong side on seam line. Repeat for each side of Santa sack. "see pic"
 

* Cut 2 pieces of twine or ribbon 14"

* On wrong side of bag at fold place twine at top of fold...secure with pin.

* Now top stitch on right side to make a seam that secures the twine but being careful to not sew into the twine. 

* Repeat for each side of bag. (see pic)


* Place each piece...right sides 2gether...starting at right corner (below twine seam line) sew around sack using a 1/4" seam allowance...pivoting at corners & reinforce your stitches at start/stopping point.
This will secure your seam line when "drawing twine to close" 

* Turn Santa sac right side out & press if needed. 

* Place your gift card within sac & draw close using twine. 

* Make a gift tag to tie on & hang on Christmas tree if desired.

A gift that keeps on giving! Save bag & use again :-)



Have fun making as many as you need & keep following for more gifts!

Talk soon,
Cat

No comments:

Post a Comment