Tuesday, November 28, 2023

Cats Charm Pack Challenge..."Candy Cane Christmas Coaster!"

 Hey quilter's...hope your week is off to a great start. I know coming off a holiday break is hard to get going again especially with the kiddos. I do have to share a funny "Thanksgiving moment" with y'all & a true confession. I for one do not mind buying a pie. Especially if I'm not having company. Well...true confession...I make pumpkin bread a lot throughout the year. It's one of my fav's! Recently I was shopping in one of my favorite grocery stores before Thanksgiving and they do have a great bakery and pecan pies. So yes, I went for it...I bought the pecan pie with no regrets :-) Well this sweet couple was near me and all I heard was "No... absolutely not!" It immediately captured my attention. :-) They we're near me in a few isles as we both shopped, and I kept hearing him saying the same thing and then the old hand wave went up. but here's the funny....he kept telling her she's always doing too much...stressed out and he just wanted her to take it a bit easy and buy a pie. It was the sweatiest thing hearing them. Yes, I was ease dropping by then. Sorry it was cracking me up! Well, he looked at me and said are they good. I acted like I didn't know what he was talking about.... seriously I crack me up sometimes. He goes the pies...are they good? Yes, y'all can just imagine the 'look" I was getting from his wife. So, I thought this could go down 2 ways...so I decided to play it cool and say..."Yes, they are d'lish but nothing beats the love of a homemade pie" She goes see!!!! Well, he pouted a but then said, "I'm just trying to help." Holly smokes I avoided him the rest of the store :-) Then....oh my gosh another lady decided to tell me her Thanksgiving traditions when I was getting "cool whip." I first thought..."do I know you?" Then I decided to listen because that will be me in a few more years...having conversations with strangers in the grocery stores. Well like I say...don't get old cause it's a trap! By the time I got home I was exhausted as I usually am but mentally as well. I'm sure we all stress out more than we need to for the holidays, but I've slacked a bit as I've gotten older due to my health. Unless the kiddos are coming. That's a whole different story and all I can say is thank God for pain meds :-) Then you are really creative and having a Holly Jolly Christmas. Just kidding! :-) Speaking of Holly Jolly. The Candy Cane Christmas Coaster or trivet or quilt square...so many quilt-a-bilities with these squares. But I am trying to make many gifts as possible from one Christmas charm pack so the instructions below are for a coaster "mug mat" :-) I love to make a gift that someone can use and remember how special they are to me while doing so. Plus who wouldn't like a Christmas coaster for the Holidays? :-) I do thank y'all for following a long and wish everyone a 'safe" shopping season as well. Remember we're having "Quilt-Mas Cheer all Year in 2024" hint...hint. Enjoy!

Blessed Quilting from My Home to Yours,

Cat

Follow on Instagram...Facebook & Pinterest (links upper right of blog)


Note...I challenged myself with the white accent fabric border. I used scrap pieces of the white candy cane fabric & love how it accents the peppermint fabric. Do the same if you wish or just rotary cut your borders accordingly. I challenge myself on small projects :-) 

Finish size is 4 3/4 x 4 3/4....easily enlarge if desired.

Here's all you need...

* 2 of your favorite charm squares ( I used one red and pink candy cane 5" square)

* Scraps from white candy cane fabric

* White accent fabric scraps ( I used Quilt Town stars by Missouri Star Quilt Co)

* Coordinating thread 

* Insulbrght...batting...backing (sizes will be listed on directions)

Here's all you do...

* From 1 red candy cane 5" square...rotary cut a 2.5 x 5 strip.

* Subcut strip into 2 2.5 x 2.5 squares.

* Repeat for pink candy cane fabric.

* Place one red square and one pink square with right sides 2gether.

* Draw a diagonal line from corner to corner. 

Tip...I draw on light fabric to see line better :-) see pic

* Sew a 1/4" seam on both sides of diagonal line.


* Rotary cut on diagonal line & press. Trim away "dog ears"

Equals 2 peppermint half-square triangles.

* Now place 2 half-square triangles with right sides together & opposite colors.

* Draw a diagonal line from corner to corner.

* Sew as precious HST & press. Square up if needed. 

* Repeat steps to equal 4 squares. (Chuck did a great job squaring up!)


* Lay squares in opposite directions to form center pinwheel (see original design if needed)

* With right sides 2gether and a 1/4" seam allowance...sew top 2 squares 2gether then bottom 2 squares together. Press.

* Follow design sew top row to bottom row. Press & square up if needed.

Note:  Center pinwheel will be 3 x3

Advanced white 1/4" accent border....

* Rotary cut from white candy cane fabric 3/4" strips x width of center square and sew using a 1/4" seam allowance starting at top/bottom then left right side...pressing as you do. Square up if needed.

Peppermint Border...

* Rotary cut from pink peppermint scraps 2 strips... 1 x 3 3/4.

* Sew with right sides together using a 1/4" seam allowance to top/bottom of center square.

* Rotary cut from red candy cane scraps 2 strips...1 x 4 1/2 .

* Sew to left/right side of square using same method as above.

* Press 7 square up if needed.


Border/Binding/Quilting...

Note...I used the scraps of white star fabric from Quilt Town collection by Missouri Star Quilt Co. I love this fabric...so versatile for any season :-)

* Rotary cut from white fabric 2 strips...1 3/4 x 4 1/2.

* Sew to top/bottom of square with right sides 2gether using a 1/4" seam allowance.

* Rotary cut from white scrap fabric 2 strips...1 3/4 x 7.

* Sew using same method as above.

* Rotary cut low loft batting 4.5 x 4.5. Place within center square. Pin and quilt as desired.

* Rotary cut backing fabric & insulbright 4.5 x 4.5

* Place white backing fabric (right side facing down)

* Batting if didn't quilt in previous step

* Insulbright

* Then Candy Cane square right side facing up (you)

* Carefully turn block over and fold over border at top to the back side leaving a 1/4" seam on front.

* Fold in half again of back to secure seam.

* Pin or clip to secure.

* Top stitch on front to secure fold in back.

* No worries if not all of seam "caught" on back...I use washable fabric glue when needed.

* Repeat for bottom border...then left/right border.

* This will give you the 1/4" binding around block without the stress...#less-stress-quilting!

Note:...If you desire a wider fold on back then just rotary cute the width of your strip to desired size. sometimes you don't have to struggle so much with catching the back fold when you make strips wider. As I always say...do what's easier for you. We're all at different sewing/quilting levels and trust me..."I have better days then others" :-) 

I hope you enjoyed this Christmas project & keep following for many more!

Talk soon,
Cat & Chuck :-) he's been a huge help!





No comments:

Post a Comment