Tuesday, February 7, 2023

Cats Tip of the Day! "Less-Sress when Matching Seams"

 Hey quilter's...hope your day is off to a great start. I want to share a technique that is very dear to my heart. We recently lost our dear Oma that taught me this technique several years ago. We loved quilting together and she taught me this clever technique when piecing together quarter triangles or any four patch. I for one cannot stand when my seams don't match up. She knew that my O.C.D. was pretty much off the chart ;-) In fact we came up with the term that it stands for "Only Cat does." Well....needless to say she taught me this about 30 ish years ago and I still use it to this day. My seams might not line up perfectly and I've come to grips with that as I've gotten older, but it sure does help! It is special when you can reflect on something so simple but clever, memories as you sew and traditions to pass on. I hope you enjoy this tip and pass it on to your loved ones. I guess it's my way of sharing Omas legacy with others. Oh, and I have to say another reason why I'm sharing this technique is we'll be doing a lot of "half-square-triangles-2gether-soon!" You know me...less-stress-quilting! Enjoy!

Blessed Quilting from My Home to Yours,

Cat

Follow on Instagram @ ihearditthroughthequiltvine

Facebook & Pinterest

Here's all you do...

 When you are piecing squares that require seams to align up "pre-sew" the seams. Your match your seams with right sides 2gether....sew a 1/4 inch seam at the point where seams intersect.....check the seam to make sure it's to your desire then sew the squares together. With this tip not only are you matching your seams, but you are "reinforcing" the center seams as well. Oma told me it's much easier to "rip out" a inch seam than a whole block :-)...Again...clever! This is a great technique especially when piecing blocks together that might get some extra wear. Especially great for a fast patch baby quilt :-) 




No comments:

Post a Comment