Friday, June 17, 2022

Cats Scrapin' a-play-que Series..."Re-purpose a School Binder into a Summer Art Journal" Phase 1

 Hey quilter's...hope y'alls summer is off to a great start. I wanted to share some summer projects to do with the kiddos that will teach them fun ways to get to know a sewing machine. I for one love a project that doesn't take long and has a fun & easy fast finish. You'll be "re-purposing" that old 3-ring binder that everyone has into a "u-nique" one that you designed! Turn it into a art journal for all your summer creativity & then use it again when school starts. You can use my hexagon design below or get creative and design your own...use your school colors with your fabric choices...endless possibilities with this project. You'll get to know your sewing machines decorative stitches which for me is a blast. Also learn easy quilting techniques & raw edge "a-play-que" & learning to do precise cutting of fabric using a rotary cutter (adult supervision please) :-) I'll have "tips" a long the way to make this a great summer project or make one as a gift. So grab your old school binder...scrap fabric...Aurifil thread & lets "a-play-que" 2gether this summer!

Blessed Quilting from My Home to Yours,

Cat 

email q's...cmhdesigns2@yahoo.com

Follow on Facebook...Pinterest & Instagram @ihearditthroughthequiltvine



Here's all you need...

* 3 ring school binder
*Scrap fabric ( I used Michael Miller Fairy Frost)
*Coordinating thread ( I love Aurifil 50 weight & used #1320, 2235, 3910)
*Heat n Bond Lite
*Sulky Tear Easy Stabilizer
*Warm & Natural Batting
*Pressing sheet
*Mini Heaxagon ( 2 1/2 x 3 )

Here's all you do

*First "sketch your idea on a piece of 8 1/2 x 11 piece of paper...this is roughly the front side of your notebook which will become your "design/sewing area"....you can piece two papers together like I did if you want it to be precise for your sketch/design.

Now decide on your fabric for your design.
Lay your "binder" on a flat surface (rings side facing you to get full size) & measure the width and length of your binder ( see pic) Once you have your size use the formula below to "rotary cut" your front fabric, lining & batting all to this size.

Ex...mine measured 11 1/2 x 22 1/2 so I rotary cut all 3 pieces 14 1/2 x 28 1/2
       (this is adding 6" to width for sleeve (tuck binder into) & 3" to length...all includes your seam allowance & for the extra allowance you need for appliqueing. You can always trim up later if desired. 


Now fuse your scrap pieces of fabric with heat n bond lite following manufactures directions.
 
Tip...I rotary cut my heat n bond lite just a tad smaller than fabric for less mess on iron plus I use a pressing sheet to protect my iron as well.

Trace or draw your design on paper side of heat n bond lite...just remember it's reversed if you're working with a directional design (ex letters)
I used the "hexagon ruler" for my design.
Rotary cut or use sharp scissors when cutting out your design.

With "front fabric" right side facing you on the "right side of fabric" fold back roughly 2 inches under and this later becomes your sleeve for binder to tuck into. Do a practice layout of your design....

Tip...I lay my fabric onto my binder and do a rough pin around the fabric to mark my design area...this helps me when fusing design & another reason why I do a "test sketch" to this "design area as well" :-)
Reflect on your sketch to help you with your layout.

Now fuse your design to the front/right side of your fabric following manufacturer's directions. ...get creative & have fun!

*Tip...I changed the design a bit from original by rotary cutting my "hexagons" in half and joined them next to each other for the appearance of one solid hexagon & forming a "whirly" design...do the same if you wish ;-)

Next phase you'll be "a-play-queing" your design....talk soon!

Check back soon!
 






No comments:

Post a Comment