Sunday, June 26, 2022

Cats "Scrapin a-play-que Series"...Re-purpose a Pillow...Phase 2 & Finishing! :-)

 Hey quilter's...hope y'all are having a great weekend & enjoying this project. I really enjoyed this project and I hope y'all are having fun as well. Today you will be quilting the "front" of your pillow. One reason why I designed the pillow this way is for a child to get "fast gratification" during a project. I know working with kids if you can keep their interest, they will want to do more! I would absolutely love if every child learned the great art of sewing & quilting. Some say it's an "old school art" but I have to say quilts have become not just something to "snuggle" with but truly a work of art. I learned at a very young age and sometimes I feel it help with my "creative mind" in designing homes. A child has so much creative thinking, and I love seeing their work of art. Well on that note...let's finish this fun pillow so they can display it in their room :-) Have fun!

Blessed Quilting from My Home to Yours,

Cat

Follow on Facebook, Pinterest & Instagram (ihearditthroughthequiltvine)

www.cookinganddecorwithcat.blogspot.com

Here's all you do...

*Lay your "Lining piece" right side down.....batting then your "front square" (facing you)

* Pin or clip to secure around edges while quilting

Tip....I'd like to share that I use a light-colored thread ( Aurifil 50 weight # 2710) and I used my presser foot as a guide to basically just outline my previous decorative stitch lines. This is an easy way to learn quilting with "less-stress"...do what is comfortable for you :-)



*Now start in the middle of your square & use your hands to keep fabric "taught" while stitching.... quilt your pillow as desired. If you do a "straight line quilting" like I did.... I set my "stitch length" a bit longer to create that "hand quilted look"...play with your stitch length to get your desired length.

Once you've finished quilting...do a light press if needed and now you're ready for your back pieces to make your "bi-fold".....you're getting closer to the finish! :-)

*Now you will be making your sides (2) for your bi-fold...you can "google" the instructions due to everyone has their method, but I like mine to fit a bit "snug." 

*With one "Fat Quarter" press if needed & rotary cut to 18 x 13 (this includes your seam allowance)

* On right side of square...press a 1 inch fold to back of square (see pic)

*Now Fold that seam in half and press. Tucks your "raw edge" in. Stitch a seam on right side...use your presser foot as your guide if desired. I like to make a "double seam" which reinforces & gives a "professional look as well.


For "Fat Quarter #2"...Rotary Cut to 18 x 11 and do same method as above.

*Now you are ready to sew your sides 2 your decorative front piece!

*Layer your "front square"...decorative stitches facing you!

*Layer your "short piece" on top (right side down) to "left side" meeting raw edges together.

*Layer your "long piece" on top (right side down) to "right side" meeting raw edges together.

*Pin or clip all around square to secure all pieces together. Sew a 1/2" seam all around your square. Reinforcing at your start and stop points. Then do another 1//4" seam to "reinforce your seam"...this step is optional but it's a great step to do. :-)

Tip...I like to start at the "bi-fold" seams to help me remember to reinforce my seams.


*Now turn your block "inside out".... carefully use your finger to "poke out" the corners if needed & place your "old pillow" in....you did it!!! 

*You just "Re-purposed" your old pillow into a "u-nique...one of a kind pillow" for your room!

*Keep following...next project we'll be doing a "mini wall quilt" for your room! :-)
 



No comments:

Post a Comment