Friday, February 2, 2024

"Quilt their Legacy forward!"

 Hey quilter's...it's Friday! I know talking about the weather is probably a boring way to start a post, but "Phil" predicted early spring! Oh my gosh...that makes me happy. I know for some of you love the snow, so I have you covered with next week's project :-) As y'all know my mom-in-law passed last year. She was an exceptional quilter and made numerous quilts...attended many quilt exhibits in which we attended a few together in Indiana. She believed in high quality items and only purchased the best. Unfortunately, with her passing that also left us a bit of a delima of what to do with her items. You would think so, but she actually "told" me what she wanted with her items...from clothes to quilt rulers. We both shared the love of Batik fabrics and kept telling me to go through her stash. I always said, "calm down you'll be using them soon." I wasn't in denial of what was to come...I just wanted to keep her positive. If you knew her you would understand how me using this charm pack square came about. Ann told it like it was...no sugar coating so to speak. One day she came over and 'threw" 2 charm packs at me and said, "do something with these...they are too pretty to waste." And go get the others too. Yup...that was her :-) I mean come on folks...I couldn't deny her wanting to give these beautiful charm packs to me. But in reality, I knew that I couldn't use all of them either. My sister-in-law sews as well so she was able to choose items that we're memorable for her as well. But we both laughed because it didn't even make a dent. I kept items that we're special, but I have tons of my own projects to do. Yes, I was overwhelmed. I wanted to cherish her "list" but also knew what was ahead. Ann wanted her items to be donated to the local quilt club in the park...anything they didn't want then to donate to the local charity. Well as I was going through her things, I thought to myself these adorable baskets need to be used. We both have a "fetish" for cute baskets :-) So I put together a few "gift baskets" full of sewing and quilting items together. Gave them to some dear friends in our park that we're wanting to start the love of quilting or just needed some items here to work with. Most people in our park are "snowbirds" so they don't always have their items here, so it was perfect. My only regret is I didn't take pics of the baskets to show y'all. We also gathered up numerous amounts of yarn to donate her too. That pic is also in a previous post. We donated so many quality quilting items that the table looked like a quilt store. My brother-in-law and I made numerous trips with the golf cart loaded and still had items left. I was overwhelmed. I kept hearing her words...no yard sale...donate the items for people to use. I had to honor her wishes. I've boxed up items to donate to the local charity in hopes that someone will receive them and enjoy them as much as she did. Funny story...we were at a quilt show in Indiana and she saw a "kit" that she loved and bought it. Well on way home I asked when are you going to start making that quilt? Seriously...her response. I'm not. It's for you! Oh my gosh...I almost wrecked. That was her, always wanting to buy things for others. Although my favorite gift was my Oliso iron for my birthday. Love it to this day! Needless to say, she had one too so my sister-in-law will be using that one in her honor. Well, I will admit that I'm still working on donating items...almost done but the one thing that I want to share is don't stress. I did at first and then had to realize she wanted to share her items with others. That's how I needed to honor her legacy. It's been stressful but I'm sure she's made a lot of people happy with her items. So, this year I will be hosting designs using her items and incorporating patterns from Missouri Star Quilt Co. This will also give y'all a chance to come join in on the "fun" I'm having using her fabrics. I knew the "Hunter's Star" pattern by Missouri Star Quilt Co. was perfect with that colorful charm pack that she threw at me :-) The pattern is using 5" charm squares along with accent fabric. Oh my gosh y'all I've been having a blast. I thought it's a bit large for me with everything I've got going on this month so I'll be incorporating the design into a "table square" The fabrics are so colorful it will make a great spring to summer table square for entertaining. We'll think of her every time as we look at it plus, I'm sure "someone" will get it after me :-) I fully recommend this fun pattern and if you don't already have it you can purchase it from MSQC and save 15% with my link (upper right on home page) The pic below shows "block one" and as you can see it's pretty colorful. I will be doing all the block one squares first. That's how my brain works. I will recommend for you to lay out your squares to not sew two blocks similar. Yes, it happens but that's o.k. too. :-) So, I hope maybe my crazy story might inspire you to not stress during a difficult time like this...quilt their legacy forward...let others enjoy their items. It may take time it's definitely not going to happen overnight, but you will be pleased on the journey you took to honor their legacy. I'll keep you posted of how my "colorful stars" are coming along plus share some tips that I've found hopeful sewing these blocks 2gether. This will definitely be the showcase for Easter. Thanks so much for following and talk soon!

Blessed Quilting from My Home to Yours,

Cat

MSQC Affiliate

Paid Partnership w/MSQC

Follow on Instagram...Facebook & Pinterest (links upper right on home page)





No comments:

Post a Comment