Wednesday, February 28, 2024

Cats Tip of the Day!..."You're Snow Special...a-play-que & finishing"

 Hey quilter's...hope all is going well with you. It's been a bit crazy this last week in my world. A week ago, we went out for breakfast which is a treat then pet store. Sounds like a simple morning...right? No...I've been recovering from the flu all week. I'm minding my own business playing with the cats that need to be adopted and this woman walks by and "sneezes" so hard the cats jumped. First, I thought...these poor cats are breathing that for the rest of the day not even thinking of myself. I finished playing with the cats...paid...left didn't think anything until that night when started having a fever. I was so mad...who has time to be sick. I'm such a dork that I was wondering if the cats got sick too. Lord help me. Needless to say, I've gotten caught up with all the fun tutorials from Missouri Star Quilt co. Now to get back on track and a-play-que'ng these snowflakes. Y'all might have given up on me and finished the runner already which is great. One reason my scrap-a-longs are pretty simple so you can continue at your own pace. I did want to share this tip if you find the a-play-que'ng difficult. I don't want you to get discouraged because it's really a fun way to enhance your designs. I set my stitch length to a very tiny length which allows easier pivoting especially when you have a design like the snowflake. Machines can be different so test what length works best with your machine. I recommend a straight stitch when you do have a lot of pivoting. I love raw edge a-play-que. Depending on the design you have the opportunity to really play with your decorative stitches and give your design a custom look. We have some fun projects for March, and you'll have many chances to play with your decorative stitches on your machine. I'll walk you through Phase 2 so I don't slow you up ;-) I'll be doing mine a little at a time until my head stops spinning. Don't forget if you need supplies my link will save you 15% from Missouri Star Quilt Co. (upper right on home page). Y'all thanks so much for following & please take care!

Blessed Quilting from My Home to Yours, 

Cat

MSQC Affiliate

Paid Partnership w/MSQC

Follow on Instagram...Facebook & Pinterest (links upper right on home page)


* Once you have finished your "a-play-que'ng" of Snowflakes...carefully remove your stabilizer.

* Following design...sew your 4 patch snowflakes 2gether using a 1/4" seam allowance. Press.

* Sew your blocks per design with right sides 2gether using a 1/4" seam allowance. Press.

* Rotary cut your backing and batting to your runner size.

* Border/Binding...

* For 1/2" border stips...I measure the top/bottom add 2 inches to the finished width and sew with a 1/4" seam allowance on front then do a folded wrap to the back and top stitch on front to secure. 

* Then do the same for the left/right side.

* You will layer your backing fabric with right side down...then batting...runner facing up.

* Fold your edge to the back leaving a 1/2" border on front. Fold in half on back to secure. Top stitch on front to secure with coordinating thread.

Everybody has their preferred method so do what's easier for you. This snowflake runner is pretty simple but cute and you can even shorten the design to 3 squares too.

Quilting around the snowflakes would be a fun way to accent the design too. I plan on doing the same once my life get caught up ;-)

Take care!

No comments:

Post a Comment