Tuesday, February 13, 2024

Havin' a Gnome-ful Year!..."Irish Gnome"

 Hey quilter's...hope your week is going great & the weather is being kind to you. This has been the craziest weather...one day heat is on...next we're cranking on the a/c. I never thought Florida would be like Texas :-) I know tomorrow is Valentine's day but I wanted to get y'all started on my New Best Friend...oh my gosh...he's  so stinkin' cute!!! Plus he reminds me of my dear dad. I know he's cracking up in heaven. I actually highlighted the "beard" w/ Aurifil thread. So easy to do...don't let that intimidate you. Mines not perfect but it just adds that extra touch to the design. I have a tip for that in the instructions. I do want to mention I'm always preaching "Less-stress-quilting" so if you're not ready to piece this design please refer to the "Valentine Gnome" instructions. You can totally do a solid strip of fabric verses cutting the charm pack into squares. I just like to challenge myself and you and that is why I started out pretty simple. I love the charm pack (Karat Gems) Emerald Forest by Wilmington Fabrics. You get 42...5" squares of the prettiest fabrics to compliment your "Irish Gnome." Please try the charm pack technique. It's super easy. Trust me..y'all know me with my back situation I will not be showing something difficult. We need to keep doing what we love...just in moderation. But I will say...this Irish Gnome may be simple but he's the cutest Gnome in my book! If you haven't already ordered him from Missouri Star Quilt Co. don't forget to click on my link (upper right on home page) so you can save 15% at checkout. I love a savings...don't y'all? :-) Here's a helpful hint...when you "replace your pillow wraps" store them neatly. Thanks so much for following and let's have a "Gnome-ful Year 2gether!" Enjoy!

Blessed Quilting from My Home to Yours,

Cat

MSQC Affiliate

Paid partnership w/MSQC

Follow on Instagram...Facebook & Pinterest


Note...Remember to adjust for your pillow size :-) Supplies can be found on MSQC website.

Here's all you need...

* Irish Gnome pattern by "The Whole Country Caboodle"

* One "Karat Gems" Emerald Forest by Wilmington Fabrics

* Scrap fabric for backing (see pic of Fairy Frost by Michael Miller Fabrics compliment perfectly)

* Light weight batting if you quilt...I did not :-)

* Sulky light-weight tear-away stabilizer

* Missouri Star 50# thread...Teal

* Aurifil 50# thread...2692...2235...4150 (variegated)

* No sew Velcro dots

Tip...I fully recommend a small pair of scissors for trimming...I love my "gingher"

Here's all you do...

* Following the instructions on pattern...carefully cut apart the pattern pieces. 
I use my small gingher scissors and snip on the wrong side. You can see it better :-) 

* Lay design out and set aside.

* Rotary cut each 5" square into 3.5 x 5" strips Set the 1.5" strips aside :-)

* Lay out your squares to your liking. I did two rows of 8 squares to make my desired length of 37"

* Now "stagger" the 1.5" strips on each side of the squares. This is where you can have fun :-)

* Once you've achieved your desired layout...find your "center" where you Gnome will be.

* Sew those with right sides together using a 1/4" seam allowance. I used MSQC teal for piecing 2gether.

* Finger Press as you go then iron.

Tip...I stitched a row of 3 then fused my "Irish Gnome" following directions on pattern & accented his beard with Aurifil thread :-)



* Sew your squares 2gether until you achieve your desired length. Press.

* Rotary cut your backing fabric to your desired length. I used my scraps Fairy Frost from Michael Miller fabrics and love how it complimented all the hues in the fabrics.


* Sew w/ right sides 2gehter using a 1/4" seam. At one end mark an opening to turn right side out.

* Reinforce stitching opening at your start and stop points.

* Turn right side out & press if needed.

* Top stitch opening closed or use washable fabric glue.

* Wrap around pillow...Mark where your you overlap, and place no sew Velcro dots following manufacturer's directions to secure.

Ya did it!!! Isn't her adorable :-)

Talk soon,
Cat






No comments:

Post a Comment