Friday, March 31, 2023

Cats Tip of the Day! "a Quilting Tool you already have on Hand"

 Hey quilter's...hope your Friday is off to a great start. I wanted to share a quick "tip" with you that I state a lot on my quilt instructions. I'm a bit "old school" and the term "finger press" is what I was originally taught. My grandmother always said "finger press" your seams and use that "elbow grease." Well as a child it totally confused me. Now as adult it seriously brings back funny memories. Your fingers are your best tool when piecing squares together. Saves time of getting up and ironing unless you have the space to have your iron right beside you while sewing. I will admit that I use my fingernails when I do want a great crease in fabric. My trivet in previous post features an advanced "basket-weave: border and I do finger press the strips iron the strips upon completion. I for one don't like to have a hot iron near my fingers :-) Finger pressing the seams on strips helps to achieve the design safely then once you achieve the width of strip then go ahead and press. In my next "scrap-a-long" we'll be piecing a lot of half-square triangles so this tip will come in "handy." :-) As always thanks so much for following and check back soon for phase 2 of this sweet Easter Trivet. Talk soon!

Blessed Quilting from My Home to Yours,

Cat

Follow on Facebook & Pinterest

Instagram @ihearditthroughthequiltvine



No comments:

Post a Comment