Sunday, September 25, 2022

Scrap-a-long w/Cat..."2cute 2spook Mug Mat" Phase 2 & finishing!

 Hey quilter's...hope your weekend is going great. We're preparing for the beast here in Florida. Please pray for everyone during this season. I've lived my majority of life in Texas and have to say I can't wait to get back. Dealing with the possibility of a Hurricane is nerve wracking and I've realized it's definitely not for me. We moved here from Texas 2 yrs. ago to help my mom-in-law and now she can come with us when we find a home again in Texas. Plus, I don't do well being away from my family. I don't mind flying but it's great to just load up the car and go! I'm so thankful for this "Scrap...Crackle...Pop!" technique, it really helps with anxiety taking your mind off what's happening. I'm preparing for the worst due to our location, but I've got my "doodling sketchbook" ready to work on next years "scrap-a-long." That sounds weird just saying next year but we're almost there, Holidays are fast approaching. Oh, and before I forget, if you see a "lull" in my posting that means I'm somewhere hunkered down and praying! So don't let this Hurricane slow down your project. Most of my designs are easy for you to put your own spin on them to finish. I always say...I start the creativity flow then put your own spin on it if needed. My next project will be the "Scrappy Spook-tacular Hot Pad/Trivet for Entertaining." I love placing food on a hot pad/trivet that I've made, just adding that personal touch to the table plus it makes a great gift! So, let's get this fun project finished so we can get on to the next one before the beast shuts down my "quilting." Thank God for #threadnfibertherapy! 

Blessed Quilting from My Home to Yours,

Cat

Follow on Facebook, Pinterest & Instagram @ihearditthroughthequiltvine

Featured on www.auribuzz.com "Scrap...Crackle...Pop!"


Here's all you do...

* Rotary cut your batting & tear-away stabilizer to 3.5 x 3.5

* Layer as follows to prepare for your "Crazy-Spider-Web-Quilting" You can do a traditional spider web if desired, but I love how this is more "free-form" and a bit "spooky" :-)

* Square wrong side facing you, batting & tear-away stabilizer.

*Secure as desired...I pinned at this stage around square to secure layers in place while quilting.

* On your "solid triangle" draw a diagonal line to help start your web. Then just "free form" your lines while quilting doing an off-set design. I used coordinating 50 weight Aurifil thread # 2582 (purple) & 2692 (black) for the outline quilting. No wrong or right here just have fun! That's why I love this technique because I don't need a perfect curve for the web...#less-stress-quilting!

Tip...I do outline my block first "stitch in the ditch" to secure before quilting. :-)

* Quilt block as desired then "carefully tear-away" your stabilizer. It will look a little wonky at this point :-)


* Now rotary cut your back fabric to 3.5 x 3.5

* Rotary cut your Insul-bright to 3 1/4 x 3 1/4. I cut a bit smaller for less bulk on edge of square when finishing, 

* Layer as follows...your wrong side facing you, insul-bright then back fabric (right side facing up/you)

*You will then fold over your binding about a 1/4 inch to back side then tuck in to form your closed binding on the back side of square. If you follow my projects, I do my "border/binding" technique on just about all projects unless it goes for a "judging" then I would get a bit more "professional" :-)

*Start at top then bottom then left and right side...clip or pin * "finger press" as you go.


*Flip over and now you're ready to quilt in the ditch on the front side to secure your binding. 
#less-stress-quilting!


Tip...I start in middle on side border seam. Less bulk then starting at the edge. Then I remove the clips as I go & "pivot" at the corners. (raise presser foot/turn block/lower presser foot & continue sewing) Less stress when quilting in the ditch & easier for you as well. 

As you can see with my finished "Spook-tacular mug mat" I left my quilting simple. I liked how my "Scrap...Crackle...Pop!" technique showed the different layers of the fabric in each square so I only did the "crazy-spider-web-quilting." I just love how this technique shows how each square is never the same without the fuss! Remember...it's your project so let your creativity flow! I can recommend Aurifil 50 weight # 2235 (orange) if you decide to quilt the "candy corns." Each project will get a little more advanced, learning new techniques as we go. The hot pad/trivet will have an advanced scrappy border plus more accent quilting w/ Aurifil thread. So, check back soon for our next "scrappy-spook-tacular-scrap-a-long!" 

Thanks for following and please continue to pray for everyone during this Hurricane season. 




No comments:

Post a Comment