Monday, November 29, 2021

Scrapin' w/ Cat Quilt-a-long "Cookie Cutter Christmas" Border/Binding/Quilting

 Hey quilter's....well here's the grand finale as they say. Due to my circumstances I will be "walking" or "blogging" with you the instructions to finish this sweet Christmas gift. Life can throw you an unexpected curve but while recently watching a "Hallmark Christmas movie," I heard this quote...."it's how you deal with your circumstances truly shows who you are". Boy did that hit home. My family might be getting I owe you's but I've decided that's not so bad and now trying to come up with some clever gift ideas that aren't costly to open for presents. This is truly making me think out of the "box" :-)

Well by now you've looked at your design and thought what was she thinking or you've come up with your own clever spin for your bording/backing. One thing I do love is a easy border. This one is easy but you could totally omit the strips and just do a easy "chunky border" as I like to call it....basically a solid strip to your desired width...just remember to press and square up as you go. Like I alway's say...it's your quilt..have fun with it and remember...less stress quilting :-)

Here's all you do...

First border strips (1/2") rotary cut 2 strips 1" x 45 1/2 and sew to left/right side of runner. Press/trim if needed.

Then rotary cut 2 strips 1" x 11.5 and sew to top/bottom of runner. Press/trim if needed.

Second border strips (3/4") rotary cut 2 strips 1 1/4 " x 46 1/2" and dew to left/ride side of runner. Press/trim if needed. 

Then rotary cut 2 strips 1 1/4" x 12 1/2 and sew to top/bottom. Press/trim if needed.

Third border strips (1") rotary cut 2 strips 1 1/2" x 48" and sew to left/right side of runner. Press/trim if needed. 

Then rotary cut 2 strips 1 1/2 x 15" and sew to top/bottom of runner. Press/trim if needed.

Tip...due to the length of your strips you will need to piece your long strips to achieve the length. Depending on your scrap choice try to match up your pattern when piecing together or use a solid piece to make it easier. 

After it's pressed and squared up do your desired binding technique or do my easy one below.

*Make your third border a larger width (about 2 1/2" wide) and when it's pieced together on all four sides then you "wrap" your quilt front to your backing fabric and fold under about an inch to give a finished hem on the back side. Try to still leave about an 1" border on front of runner to still achieve the "randome border design" You can quilt in the ditch making sure you catch the back seam or quilt by hand on the back. I do this method with most of my designs...less stress quilting :-)

Rotary cut your batting/backing to fit your front size of runner. 

Lay your backing fabric (wrong side facing you)

Batting

Then your top pieced quilt facing you. Pin together as desired or use clips.

Quilt in the ditch or do some outline quilting around the snowflakes. Remember...it's your design...have fun!

Thanks again for your continued following of my designs. I am excited that this coming year I'll be showing a very "unique" twist on an old classic design of "crazy quilting." This year has been different for us all and I've used my "downtime" to come up with some unique patterns. Praying that next year is great for us all but in the meantime keep following....I've come up with some fun "gift-giving" ideas for the Holiday's. Maybe we can all inspire one to start the "quilting bug" by gifting forward :-)

XO, Cat



No comments:

Post a Comment