Wednesday, June 30, 2021

"BURP QUILT 4 BABY-DECORATIVE PILLOW 4 BIG-SIS!"

 Hey quilter's....hope y'all are off to a great day. As promised....I'm focusing on my "mini" project series. Due to my limited amount of time "sitting or standing," has forced me to "think" in small scale. I have to say it's been a bit of a challenge but fun. I've been able to use my "scraps" due to the small size of projects and if you do need to purchase fabric you don't need to buy a lot. But.....we all know to buy extra when purchasing for those "maybe must have moments." The gifts below are for a sweet friend back in Texas that recently had another sweet baby girl. I had "sew much fun" with this project. The "burp quilt" is very functional....after it's use you can display as wall hanging. #doubleduty! The leaves on the wreath were actually formed by tracing a cookie cutter on the back side of fusible web. Then all appliqued with AURIfil thread (a must have) :-). I also was able to use some of my "scrap fabric" of Hoffman Fabrics for the leaves as well. I wanted the designs to coordinate for the baby & big sis. It's always important for me to make sure you give a give to the older sibling so they feel extra special too. Let me explain why....years ago I was at a baby shower and all the attention was on the new baby coming and although the older sibling was having a blast going thought the presents with mommy, the real excitement happened. A sweet lady had a gift for the big sis to open. Oh my gosh, you can only imagine the joy on that child face. It actually brought tears to a lot of us. I thought from that moment on that I would do the same. Well...if you know me the gifts are going to "coordinate" as well :-) I have brief instructions below for the burp quilt. It's very easy due to basically it's a mini quilt design. The decorative pillow is basically the same applique method but using a "bi-fold" method in which I'll be showcasing designs starting in July for this fun method. Hope you enjoy & stay tuned for upcoming designs ;-)

Blessed Quilting from My Home to Yours,

Cat

Follow on Pinterest & Facebook



Here's what you need...
Leaf "cookie cutter"
Leightweight fusible web
Light weight batting
Light weight stabilizer for applique
Fabric of your choice
Coordinating thread ( #AURIfil)

Here's all you do...
For this size burp quilt (finished out @ 12 x 16....you'll need to cut your front & back piece of fabric to 13 x 17 which allows for your seam allowance of a 1/2"...you can do small if you wish but for a burp quilt I do larger seam allowance just for an extra sturdiness while turning inside out. 
The batting will be cut to the finish size of 12 x 16
*Fuse to back of your fabric following manufacturer's direction.
*Trace leaf design using cookie cutter on back side of fusible paper.
*Cut out shapes
*Tip...I like to "lay out" my shapes to get the design that I want before tearing off the fusible web and pressing to "front side of fabric" This allows me to change anything :-)
*After positioning design as desired then applique each piece (tip....use a stabilizer on back side to make your appliqueing smoother and a more professional appearance as well. Keeps stitches in tact.
*Place front and back fabric (right sides together) and sew along edges leaving a 2" opeing for turning inside out.
*Turn inside out and make sure corners are neatly squared if possible (I use the tip of a pencil eraser to poke so I don't ruin the fabric. 
*Place batting inside & slip sticth opening
Top stitch around edges if desired w/coordinating thread.

That's it...a beautiful handmade baby gift that she can use for many years to come! #doubleduty!



No comments:

Post a Comment