Tuesday, June 29, 2021

"CAT'S TIP OF THE DAY"

 Hey quilter's...hope all is going well. I'll admit...my "year" did not start off as planned. Some times life gives you a unexpected turn and you just need to make the best of it. I've learned not to give up what I love just do it a bit differently. Yes....I now use a "kitchen timer" while sewing. What!??? Yes...due to back problems....I set timer for 10 minutes (if back allows) and sew....weird but helps! I know....sounds crazy but with back pain sitting or standing can be so painful. So I do things a lot these days in "moderation." The timer helps me stay "on track"....and yes you can use your phone to set time but I love "old school" kitchen timers. Sometimes it makes me feel like 'I'm sewing with an old friend." Here's a funny....that's not the "tip of the day" but maybe it will help someone else that has back issues to not give up, just do things a bit different. 

Here's the tip....recently I was sewing "half-square-triangles" on dark batiks "Hoffman Fabrics" and had difficulty seeing the lines while marking. I probably have every marking tool available and don't know if it's my "eyes now" or what but nothing was helping. So....on my cutting table is also my "colored pencils" in a cute container of course :-)....I grabbed the "bright yellow" pencil & marked my lines and it was perfect! I'm not washing the fabric after piecing due to it being a "quilt art" method. Win...win! My yellow fabric pencil was too light for my eyes so the "brightness" of the colored pencil really helped. Also, the "Fons and Porter" ruler is perfect for making accurate half sq triangles. Hope this tip helps :-)

Anyway....I'll be sharing tips throughout the week and with my recent downtime, I was able to design a very fun project or should I say projects. So stay tuned....I'll be posting this week some fun & easy projects that will aslo make great gifts. 

Blessed Quilting from My Home to Yours,

Cat

Follow on Pinterest & Facebook





No comments:

Post a Comment