Hey quilters...happy Sunday. I hope y'all are having a great weekend and weather. I'Im sharing with you today a fun project using your scraps for entertaining. I say entertaining but this would make a great gift as well. I love to make a handmade gift any chance I can and using my scraps of this beautiful collection of Songbird was the inspiration. In my previous post I was blessed to be part of the Songbird Blog Hop w/ curlicuecreations.com Jennifer Thomas new fabric collection "Songbird" for Lumin Fabrics designed by Jerry Khiev. This collection is stunning. The entire time as I was designing my project then cutting the fabric all I could think of what I was going to do with the scraps. With all the colors and prints my brain went into a fun trivet for entertaining. Which inspired my new home decor series that I'll be sharing seasonally. The project is very simple and beginner friendly. You can use the instructions below and adjust to fit your desired casserole dish. Mine was the large oblong size, and my scraps were perfect then made strips from the lighter print for the lattice strips. I made a "cobbler" that I'll be sharing soon on my cooking blog with y'all as well. What I love about this fun design is it's very versatile for any occasion just by changing the fabrics. I'm sharing the instructions today while Skully and Stella are working on their own creative projects. Alot going on in my sewing room :-) Check back soon for more adventures of Skully and Stella. Enjoy!
Blessed Quilting from My Home to Yours,
Cat
Follow me on Instagram...Facebook and Pinterest (links upper right on home page)
Songbird Casserole Trivet...est. finish at 10 1/4 x 14 1/4
Here's all you need...
* Songbird fabric scraps to your desired measurements.
* Thermoweb Heatnbond Lite
* Insul-Bright
* Pellon fusible fleece
*Aurifil 50 weight #2520
* Olfa rotary cutter w/pinking blade
* Oliso iron
* Brother sewing machine
Here's all you do...
* Rotary cut your front fabric and backing to desired size (mine 10 x 14)... set aside.
* Rotary cut Pellon fusible fleece to the size of your front fabric.
* Fuse following manufacturer's directions. Set aside.
* Rotary cut your fabric for lattice strips and heatnbond lite to desired size and fuse following manufacturer's directions.
* Using your rotary cutter with pinking blade...cut strips 1/2" x desired lengths.
Tip....I cut mine long then squared up even with front fabric after I weaved the strips.
* Peel off backing of strips :-)
Yup...I did it...had my lattice strips perfect then realized I forgot to peel off the paper backing. UGH!
* Place strips as desired on front fabric...forming the weave of a pie crust (under/over) as desired then fuse following manufactures directions.
* Square up even with front if needed.
* Quilt a running stitch on lattice strips to secure or quilt as desired.
* Place backing...right side down then heatnbond lite then top....secure with clips.
Tip...I like to do a fast-basting stitch all around my trivet using my Brother sewing machine before adding the binding. Helps hold strips in place.
Bind as desired or...
My binding method of rotary cutting strips 2" x desired length.
Start at front (top) sew with right side together using a 1/4" seam allowance. Press.
Repeat for bottom...then left/right side.
Starting at top...fold strip to back then tuck in half to secure raw edge...clip to secure and top stitch on front of fabric.
Repeat same method with bottom...then left and right sides.
Note...this is a fun time to play with decorative stitches on your machine for the top stitching on front.
Just make sure you catch the back fold to secure binding.
Songbird Trivet front...
Enjoy!
Check back this week on cooking blog (link upper right on home page) for the cobbler recipe.




No comments:
Post a Comment