Monday, January 1, 2018

HAPPY NEW YEAR & T-SHIRT QUILT UPDATE!

Hey quilters....Happy New Year! I hope everyone is enjoying this special time....reflecting back and making new lists for the new year. For some odd reason my lists are usually the same every year so now I just go "ditto but only better"...less stress :-). I'm taking a moment to update a step on the Halloween One-Z quilt....yes, I know it may be a bit late for some but due to receiving several emails I decided to go ahead and post. Hopefully this year we have no hurricanes and life will go smoother. I am looking forwarded to my "12 mos. of Quilt-Mas"...I've almost got the pattern designed in my EQ7 and currently working on certain squares to have advanced techniques as well. I love hearing from you and especially when I hear that you are just starting to quilt. Just remember to never get frustrated cause it's your quilt...make it your way & that's why quilting is so special....you quilt and sew from your heart! Anyway....still taking down Christmas...enjoying the sun this morning...thank God cause it's 24* in Texas! Keep checking for the new posts to follow along on the "12 mos. of Quilt-Mas" and follow on my facebook page...I heard it through the quilt-vine....Have a great New Year and looking forward to quilting together! 

Blessings from my Home to Yours,
Cat
cmhdesigns2@yahoo.com
www.cookinganddecorwithcat.blogspot.com

One-Z step one...for a 10.5 x 12.5 back ground fabric fold One-z to fit  7 x 10 inches. (See diagram...I trim the back side of the one-z so you have less bulk to fuse.
Tip....Sleeves cut longer and tuck in....allows for a smoother shape of one-z
Press one-z if needed.
Try not to be too perfect. Less stress due to the one-z's probably have been washed several times and the cotton does distort a bit. Tweak as you go while tucking the sides in.
*With rotary cutter cut strips of "Heat n Bond Lite" to fit your basic square of one-z (see pic)
*Fuse to back of one-z following manufactures direction on heat-n-bond lite.
*Make sure the shape is to your liking if not tweak at this time
*Remove backing and fuse to center of your t-shirt fabric
*Applique as desired (I use Aurifil 50# thread for strength)
Tips:...
You might hand sew areas at this time (shoulders).
Press hard when fusing due to the layers and always use pins that can take heat just in case you touch them with your iron when fusing.
When getting ready to applique...mark your squares to the number of layout to keep them in order.
Then group by thread color for faster appliqueing. 
Make notes if you need to go back to a certain one to do some hand sewing.

This is the same technique that I use on all of my T-Shirt quilts. I will be doing another large one this year for my grandson so will keep you posted on that one as well. Hope this helps and email me any q's. Show your finished products anytime or please share if you have a better way. That's what this blog is all about...."Sharing Tips Among Friends"
                                                                              
                                                                   One-Z Step One
                                                                                
                                                                   One-Z Step Two
                                                                               
                                                                      Left Corner
                                                                               
                                                  Center One-Z w/ one sleeve out and flap
                                                                             
                                                      Right corner & Scrappy Border
                                                                             
                                            Hexagon Spider appliqued w/ Aurifil 50# black

No comments:

Post a Comment